Friday, April 22, 2011

Going up...Durungawan

The excitement from last night’s long talk and chitchats still lingers as we woke up and start to prepare to go up Durungawan. Being prepared to a climb to Mt Banahaw summit, Durungawan, was not really in the vocabulary of the girls group but we all entrusted everything to the boys whom we know are experts on this type of adventure besides this is our first time and we don’t have anything to contribute and give but trust them.  

We left our things in the tent. I brought some cash, some candies, a towel and nothing else. No trail food or bottled water. Cash would be our means to buy food and water along the trail same in Sta Lucia where several mini stores are along the way. I also remembered them packing the food from last night, bringing big bottled water so we can still save money. They also bought bread for our trail food which also serves as our breakfast.

We started to move up to the trail and we expect to be there at Durungawan in four hours. First expected stop is at Kuweba ng Diyos Ama. After an hour, we then ate our breakfast trail food but when I started to ask for the left over food last night, they told us that they have not brought them coz it’s already spoiled. Our trail food is already consumed and water is already half empty. We still have a long way to go but we promised to buy food and water once we see a store along the trail. After more than two hours of walk, unfortunately, no store in sight! Our money is useless! The leader of the group began to decide to go back but most of us pushed him to continue the way up to the summit. There were several discussions way up and each step is not anymore filled with happy faces but tiredness, paleness, and thirst. We don’t anymore see the beauty around us, we forgot to appreciate the mountain and I don’t remember the trail except when it’s stiff, it’s rough, or it’s hard coz we have to climb up the rock using a rope. There is only one thing that made me remain hopeful…the LORD is my Shepherd!
 
I began singing the Lord is my shepherd in tagalog. I clearly remember the lyrics since that is my favorite song when I was a member of a Chapel choir in our barangay during my high school days. I also started to think and reflect on what just happened that I deserve things like these. First, going out without the knowledge of my family means I might not be able to return as expected and nobody will worry for me. Second, of trusting too much and not even thinking of my own safety. Third, if Helen, my officemate whom I just invited, would be hurt then I will be responsible. Several more entered my mind as we quietly move up. Our strength slowly deteriorates, our feet and muscles aching. Just glad that my buddy partner never gave up my hands and continue to help me. I was so hungry that I shouted to the mountain… “Pabili ng Pagkain!”  A minute later, the buddy group in front of us found a bread still packed in plastic and they gave us a piece share. I only smell the bread then ate it right away. We would also have not survived the six hours hike to the summit if not for the hikers we met while they are going down to Kinabuhayan. They gave us their remaining canned goods, eggs, and biscuits. We have satisfied our thirst and refill our bottles at Kuweba ng Diyos Ama. The water was very satisfying and thirst quenching, so sweet and cold. But all these were not enough for us. The last hour to the summit was very difficult the only thing that we can hear is our breathing. I am already counting my slow steps. I just prayed that I or anyone else will not faint so there would be no additional burden. I began to fight for my life and listen to the motivating words of my co group in front of us shouting… “Malapit na! Nakikita ko na! Sa taas maraming pagkain!” Hope made us continue walking up the summit! I remembered being pushed thru my back during my last steps just before finally setting my feet to the ground of the Mt Banahaw Durungawan!

finale...next!
;Des

1 comment:

  1. next...http://des-climbingmountain.blogspot.com/2011/04/finaledurungawan.html

    ReplyDelete