Monday, August 28, 2017

Bicol Escapades…the Tour day (Jovellar Underground River and Sigpit Falls)

The Jovellar Underground River is yet to be discovered by tourists in Albay Bicol. It’s almost an hour of drive from Camalig Albay. Although the place is almost an end of a road...I would say that this is a real find!

We eat first our delicious adobo lunch inside “Salvacion”. Salvacion is the jeepney owned by Kuya Mike and it is been our constant companion throughout our travel. I would say that I have underestimated my travel this day as I only brought an extra shirt and a short. I have assumed that I will just dip my feet into the water and enjoy the view. 
A registration is required before you enter the underground river plus a fee for the underground river tour as you will be going inside the cave thru bamboo raft “balsa”. They will also not allow your group without a tour guide so better get one. We have a short trek first before the entrance of the cave. At the entrance of the cave, there is already a swimming area where people jump from a cliff. It is very exhilarating to watch them jump off the cliff and splash deep into the water. 

At first, I am hesitant to get inside the cave as the tour guide told us that we will definitely get wet. In addition, I am afraid to get in the boat to cross the cave. Who’s not afraid of going inside the dark unknown? Ate Fei’s just remind me that this is a once in a lifetime experience and besides I was the one who introduce them the place. And yes, I should be excited to experience it myself…setting beside all the fears…disregarding of what I have not, but of what I have at the moment…and be expectant that the view after the rafting is awesome.

We went down through this squeaky bamboo stairs, and got into the bamboo balsa. For just less than five minutes, we cross a 100 meter long quiet river, it as if I am experiencing the famous Palawan underground river. We can see the formation inside the cave through a flashlight of our tour guide. As we get closer, we heard this loud sound of water fall. Slowly as we made our way in, a light started to appear and made us too excited upon seeing this beautiful water cascading towards us. We are so mesmerized by numerous rock formations and just want to immediately play with the cold water. The exit point, as they call it, is actually a meeting place for the river, the cave and the waterfalls.
In order to get across, we also have to go through the water current. With a proper guide, we safely cross and climb rocks just to get to the other side. I would say that this adventure is not really very ideal for unprepared children and senior citizens. You must have that “real adventurer” guts to take the challenges but I can assure that the experience is so worth it. I am just so glad that I have immersed myself into this kind of place. 
I am already soaking wet but more prepared to get into the next water falls…Sigpit Falls. We have not used the Balsa anymore but instead we climb up a hill back to the cave entrance to meet Phine who is waiting with our slippers and towels. Mae also experience jumping off the cliff with the tour guide. I have realized that when you trust that at least "One" will be there to watch over you and rescue you when something goes wrong, you will be brave enough to do it. Did I say that there is my "One" that will convince me to jump off the cliff to the river? Whooah...I would dare not. I have to start from the basic first.
Sigpit Falls is about 350m from the underground river and is across the other side where we left Salvacion. This time, its children play time as the place is much safer. I remember that one kid who does not know how to swim, with his vest on, enjoys jumping from the rock to the river with much joy and giggles. At last, those kids that did not join the underground river tour for safety reasons, now enjoys the Sigpit falls.

I will always treasure these “water adventure” moments. I am still amazed by how nature could produce such a wonder! Indeed, God never fails to amaze His people. 

The day tour never ends here as we still have one more place to go.
Next…Kawa Kawa Hill at Ligao City  ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment