Sunday, May 10, 2020

September Cebu City Travel


Today is Mother’s Day year 2020. Finding an inspiration and timing to write, even just a few about my travel, is not so easy for me. Sometimes I blog, sometimes not at all. In honor of Mother’s Day and since we are still in Enhanced Community Quarantine in Manila as well as Cebu City, remembering and documenting about Nanay’s and I recent travel in Cebu City last September is as easy as pie.

Bohol is my mother’s hometown…and Cebu City is just an hour or two Ferry ride. Nope, we did not travel from Bohol but from Manila which is only an hour and 30 minutes flight. Being with Nanay is a breeze for me since she knows the Visayan dialect and I know that she can well relate to the Cebuanos. I am just surprised knowing that this travel inside Cebu City is also her first time. Our Cebu travel is just three days two nights stay. Of course, I have a list with the itinerary in and around Cebu City but I also need to make it more relaxed as I am travelling with a Senior Citizen, my Nanay.  

Day 1. We arrive at Mactan-Cebu International Airport at around 8:30am. I made an advance booking thru Klook noting our flight details and our hotel destination. There has been an advance info on the name of the driver and the car detail but there was a last-minute change that made me think twice of truly trusting Klook for our first time travel in Cebu City. I really do not want to play so rigid but I need to be safe than sorry. I still trust God that our travel will be guided and protected, I need to surrender because I will be enjoying the stay.

Our almost an hour ride to the hotel was an ease as Nanay has a Visayan conversation with the driver. It also made me comfortable hearing their exchange of stories living in and out of Visayas. While on the way to hotel, I am already familiarizing myself with my Cebu City goggle map on the phone. It really helps to already see with your own eyes your google map location-destination  especially if walking around Cebu downtown is part of the plan.  

It is still early to check in at the hotel and so we left our bags in the hotel to walk around Cebu downtown and find the Sto Nino Basilica. I thought, Cebu downtown is just like Manila downtown area but it is far from it as the streets are well kept and clean. I also feel comfortable walking from and along its streets than Manila downtown. Thanks for google map again that I can easily check on the streets and way to Basilica. There are also jeepneys around but I am not familiar yet with the coding.  I initially memorize the number codes I saw while we are walking so we could already ride a jeepney back to our hotel.


We attended the noon mass at Basilica and it is just great way to start our travel in Cebu City. We lighted candles and bought souvenirs from the church store. Nanay bought a life size green rosary that lights up in the dark. There are also photos displayed in a patio towards Sto Nino relic that depicts events related to the Christianization of the Philippines through the image of Senor Santo Niño de Cebu. I love Sto Nino as He always reminds me to be humble and be childlike…and to worry less.


We ride a jeepney back to the hotel but as soon as I saw a familiar street, we got off and walk back to our hotel. We rest first in the hotel and had our dinner in the nearby mall.

Next...Day 2

No comments:

Post a Comment