Saturday, January 20, 2018

Bicol Holy Week at Daraga, Albay


I and my friend, Phine stayed in Balay De la Rama in Albay for a Holy Thursday and Good Friday reflection at Daraga Church. Daraga Church is just a walking distance to/from Balay Dela Rama but for those who are not used to walking, there are tricycles around that can be hired.




Daraga church offers a vantage point of Mayon Volcano. It is one of the most beautiful churches in the Philippines. 

The church is also known as the Our Lady of the Gate or the church of Nuestra Senora de la Porteria. The construction of this Baroque style building is done with the use of volcanic materials that makes it even more special and unique. To prevent it from regular exposure the outer was coated with lime stone so that the future generation can still see the beautiful facade of the church to save it from further degrading. 






We attend the Holy Thursday mass at 5:30pm with the "Washing of the Feet" until 7:30pm. The only thing that is different now is dialect that is used during the mass as I know little of Bicol dialect and most of the time, I will ask my friend to translate the word I just heard. It is just good to know that no matter what dialect the mass is…it will always be the same. Two words that have been used most of the time and thus retained in my mind…”Kagurangnan” and “Tugang” which means  “Lord” and “Brother/Sister”, respectively.

Good Friday hearing of seven last words, sharing and mass reflection were even more a challenge to me as I really have to “hear” the words or plainly “hear-between-the-lines”. I sometimes hear visayans words I am already familiar with. Although, I cannot fully understand, it is really quite heavenly staying in the church from 12nn because of the heavenly voice I am hearing in between the seven last words.


Good Friday procession follows after the mass and Cross adoration. We can see that there are lots of people, including children, who have joined the procession and more are coming in after the mass. I believe that each barangay is with their Patron image in the carriage joining the procession and they are doing this every Good Friday. People coming from the church are also joining the procession as I and Phine are watching the processions from the small patio of Daraga Church.


I could really feel the devotion from the people’s heart especially those joining the procession. I may have not really fully undertand the sharing of each of the people but I could see their faces and feel their hearts. It was really an intimate and meaningful holy week experience.

 Next...Concluding Bicol Experience ;D


No comments:

Post a Comment